Patna Medical College, Patna was established as Temple Medical School in 1874 with the admission of 30 student with fees of Rs. 2/- only per students for whole course. This trend continued till 1925. After than Temple Medical School was shifted to Darbhanga and in its place a Medical College known as The Prince of Wales Medical College, was established. Formal inauguration of this Medical College was done on 25th February 1925. Various building were constructed by the donations from Princely states of Bihar. The first batch of 35 students were transferred from Medical College Bengal (Presently Calcutta Medical College, Calcutta) to Prince of Wales Medical College, Patna. This medical college can rightly claim to be the torch bearer of medical education in Bihar. Post graduate courses were started in 1932. Postgraduate teaching in Orthopedics, Physiology, Gynecology and Radiotherapy were first started in this institution in the whole undivided India. Vertical and Horizontal integrated teaching and weekly seminars are the regular feature in this institution. Patna Medical College is now affiliated from Aryabhatta Knowledge University, Patna
This college is the mainstay for medical education and treatment to the masses, not only to this state, but the adjoining area of the neighboring states. Patna Medical College, Patna has a glorious past and a bright future.